Sunday, January 2, 2011

McCoy's "Miracle" Midge



This fly pattern is mine as passed down by my dad and his dad.  Please respect that. At this time, I share it with you...the non-commercial fly tier. It is intended for personal use only and all I request is that you use it for personal non-monetary gain and call it by it's name..."McCoy's Miracle Midge". If tied as directed, this pattern will catch fish when other patterns won't!








1. Start with a Tiemco TMC 2487 hook. This is a size 20 and it is small. Sizes 18 down to a 28 if you can see it.













2. Tie in gold Ultra-fine UNI tinsel. ( Note Gold , Silver , Bronze , Green and Red Tinsel may be used as well ) Five different patterns on one color of silk .















3. This is the "Secret Ingredient". Pearsall's Marabou Silk in white. (You can use other colors to match the hatch). Other silk may work, but this is one of the secrets!











4. This is the step that makes this midge the "Miracle". Build up the black Uni 8/0 thread to form a body...When the silk gets wet, it becomes translucent and this body appears.














5. Wrap in the silk and the tinsel. Always wrap an odd number of the ribs with the tinsel.














6. Make the head tie off with some half hitches, head cement and ta-dah...you're done!














7. Tie some up and go catch some fish!!!

7 comments:

  1. I have used this same fly for a couple of years. It is a miracle. My version uses flash down the back under the rib and a black tungsten bead for the head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used it too. my version is tied with floss, that is the real, true, original reason for the name miracle. when tied correctly with floss and it comes in contact with water, it looks clear. it a darm miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Paul Nice touch . . . that would work well to get it down deeper I will give the Tungsten a try for sure . . .
    @ Bigerrfish . . . I personally Have NOT tied it with Floss I bet it works well too , but really Try the " Pearsall's Marabou SILK " and see if it makes the Miricale any better for you . . .I as a return will try the floss ( I definately will have more colors to choose from )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a deal, Im more than willing to give the silk a shot! thanks for having such an open mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a nice tie! Easily pass for a micro caddis or a midge pupae!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Midge Man You Sir know your bugs ! ! The color of the wire kinda makes the color . . . This pattern really dose produce MIRICALES ! !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great step by step! Started following and reading through the rest of what you got

    ReplyDelete