Saturday, February 5, 2011

Why do you Fly fish ?

A question that I was asked recently , Why Do you Fly fish ? I had a quick answer : I like it ! that was about it . . . then thinking of the question again on the River that day I kept on thinking of the Whys : I came up with allot but these stand out to be at the top of the list : who wouldn't enjoy being surrounded by the beauty of the land that we have available , a recent trip to Las Vegas has reminded me of allot of things I appreciate , nothing against the people that enjoy the lifestyle of being waited on hand and foot , and being such a rude #### , that you don't understand NO ! and that you expect to be treated like a king or queen where ever you go , I am sorry , we all live here , and just because I don't know who you are , that it makes you any better than me . . .I don't expect you to know who I am ,You put on your clothes the same as I do ! when money does not mean anything and a $300.00 dinner isn't a big deal . . . I think of how many folks that go hungry and don't have any kind of shelter from the elements and then wonder . . .The question still at hand Why do you Fly fish ? I tie my own flies , because I enjoy it ! it's relaxing and a thrill to know that something I made was good enough to fool a fish into thinking it was real food to eat . fly fishing is not for everyone either another plus for me . I cannot tell you the names of the players on a football or basketball team , but I can tie up most any fly with a recipe , and can match the hatch most of the time , can spot a person on the riverbank being frustrated and lending a helping hand , wow can you believe that ! someone to lend a helping hand , I enjoy teaching and helping others , when you tote as many flies to the water as I do , its not hard to have what the fish are eating right then and there , the beauty of nature , trees , flowers , birds , and everything around , the sounds , just NATURE ! still the Question Why do you Fly fish ? I LIKE IT ! how about a comment on why you like it ? am I alone on this ?

11 comments:

  1. Well said! I don't know much about fly fishing, but I totally agree with you about the Vegas mind-set! I just can't open my mouth and enjoy a $300 meal and know that people right here in the U S of A are living in 3rd world conditions. And I know the thrill, happiness and pride that comes from creating something with your own two hands (knitting for me) something that serves a purpose and could even save your life! When the zombie apocolypse comes we can camp out together! You can feed us and I will keep us in warm clothes! Dave, the best part of this post was hearing how you like to teach others and learn from others too. Oh, and the beauty of nature too, isn't the earth inspiring? How 'bout we meet on Sundays and have church by the river?! The spirituality of the outdoors lifts me so much more than suits at the pulpit ever could. Keep fishing and keep writing, Cuz.
    Kate Talley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fly fishing encourages me to enjoy all seasons. The early spring, when the ice is breaking and I can see the magic a prince nymph produces; the electricity of a summer evening when the spinners appear just around dusk; the crisp air of fall and its colors as I enjoy the last dry fly fishing of the season; and finally the quiet solitude of fishing alone in the winter with midges.
    www.finfollower.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fly fish because it gives me a time to relax, to meditate, to learn. The most inspiring thing about fly fishing is the never ending learning process. It's especially fun when I can be of some help to someone now, like you said. And the beauty of this earth is incredible if one will just take the time to look. The whole lifecycle in and out of the river is just amazing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't choose flyfishing.... It chose me-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fly fish because I love the outdoors and it's another excuse to go there. Besides, there's not enough room in the bathtub.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fly fish because it is the biggest rush I know how to find... Its not about nature and its not about solitude its about hooks line and fish! No time to relax for me, I fish like its a job, No slacking and no slack line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I fly fish to live (I'm a guide) and I live to fly fish. It's in my DNA. There is something about interacting within the natural world that fishing provides that is innate. There are also unending occasions for hope, learning, struggles and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, the reason I fly fish is the visual challenge. When I first started fly fishing back in the 80's it was on PA's Spring creeks. Gentle flows, clwear waters, and , many times, visible trout feeding. And rejecting everything I threw at them. That challenge hooked me. I still love the small srteam / clear water challenge, and it is probably why I never became enamored with steelhead fishing - I never knoew if there were any fish in the particular area I was fishing, and my interest would wander away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fly fishing is:

    A sport, food for my soul, my life long passion.

    I could not live without it, simple.

    Nice blog.

    www.smallstreambrowntroutfishing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ everyone Thank you for leaving your comments may we all hold on what we find near and dear to our hearts ! Thanks ! ~dave " The Journeyman "

    ReplyDelete