Sunday, September 4, 2011

Just another Journey

So as most of you who know me or of me I live and work in Utah in Lehi , I live minuets from the Provo River and local streams here in the valley , My latest journey took me to one of my Favorite creeks . . . I park my truck get my William Joseph Pack out put in my lunch and drinks and of course Gummy worms ( being a type 1 diabetic I carry them just in case ) hike and walk down to the creek side Hmm ....High water run-off this year has drastically changed it from last year , perplexed by this ...where is that deep hole gone ... and what the Hell , No tree to cross over ... the Rattlesnake sunning himself let me know he/she was there so I kinda walked around it still no tree across the creek to walk across ...where did this one go . . .I managed to survive the day with wet feet , and catch fish , lots , with lots of wild Rainbow trout , the Beaver dams that were there are slowly being rebuilt by the "Busy Beavers" the water is yet forming cold deep pools again , and the fish were holding in the usual places , behind the large rocks , and up next to the grassy banks , and behind the submerged trees , and Hungry ! the pattern I elected to use for this Journey was the Hopper that I tie with Turkey , Peacock ,Grizzly Hackle and Pheasant tail and a secret red ingredient in the leg and elsewhere , and a little something else placed here , we have floated lots of Hoppers to come up with this one pattern and yes its a deadly one as well as a coveted Family secret fly that me and my dad tie some day we may share but for now it is a Secret . . we will refer to it as " the Other Dave's Hopper ". . .with the Thick tree cover I used my SAGE 7'-6"  3 wt rod and a short 6' Leader with a foot or so of 7X tied in on my G.LOOMIS Venture 3 reel and Scientific Anglers Floating line I was gently placing the hopper in the riffs and keeping the line tight and following the hopper down the current it was to say the least a Great Journey ! fish taking it most every time I cant remember a time like this for a very long time . . . maybe it was due to the restructuring of the creek bed from the High water run-off or it was my choice of fly " the Other Dave's Hopper " I don't really know nor care to but it was one of the most epic Journeys in the past 5 yrs.I did take a picture of one then it was all over I took the fly out its mouth threw it in the creek and when  I was releasing it I had another take on my hopper I have never had that happen . . .so the picture taking was done for the day all of the fish I caught were released to be enjoyed another day for me or someone Else's Journey to the creek , I run up and down this creek when my dad would do stream gauging on the Provo River the gauging station is still here just as I remember it . . . I hope that this may inspire some of you tiers to come up with your version of " the Other Dave's Hopper " and maybe see how close to this deadly pattern you come ...if your close ... well we will see.... as always JOURNEY ON !!!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful catch! And yes, Journey On!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JourneyMan, where have you gone? Isn't it about time for some more blogging?

    ReplyDelete